Cannabis seeds are the foundation for the cultivation process of the plant and are vital to the production of top quality weed. These seemingly tiny things are filled with great potentials and have all the genetic elements required for the cultivation of plants that will produce top quality buds.
Cannabis also known as marijuana can be used for recreational or medicinal purposes. Therefore more and more people are picking interest in cultivating this plant in their homes. Now thanks to the farm bill of 2018, a lot more people are aware of its healing properties. You can click here for more info on the 2018 farm bill.
In this article, we will look at the benefits of the seed of this plant and how to choose the best ones to cultivate.
Benefits of Cannabis Seeds
There are many benefits to be gotten from this part of cannabis. They are considered valuable commodity in the industry because they are versatile and can be used for many purposes. Some of the benefits include the following:-
They Provide High Quality Genetics
Just like with every plant, the seed of cannabis is the beginning of every successful cultivation cycle. The genetics of any plant is embedded in the seed and when you choose the right one, you can be sure of getting top quality buds from healthy plants.
Due to the growth in popularity of home cultivation of weed, many businesses in the industry stock different strains. These strains have different characteristics which make it easier for everyone to find the strain that suits their taste.
It is cost effective to grow cannabis plant from the seed than buying mature plants or clones. When you buy the mature plant or clones, you most often will pay good money to compensate for the effort and time that has already gone into the cultivation process. With the seed however, you can start the process from scratch and see it to the end. You not only save money but also experience the joy of watching something grow and blossom under your care.
Cannabis seed provide growers with a wide variety of strains that enable them choose without restriction what characteristics work best for them. People who want a strain that is high in CBD, THC or any terpene profile can simply get the seed and grow the plant.
A seed is always a sustainable option for a grower of any plant; same truth applies to cannabis. When individuals grow their own weed, they do not contribute to the carbon footprint from large scale production. Additionally, they are sure that their plant is organic and wasn’t cultivated with any toxic growth enhancers or chemicals. Check out this site to know more about sustainability in agriculture: https://sarep.ucdavis.edu/sustainable-ag#
How to Choose the Right Cannabis Seed
When choosing the marijuana seed to plant, there are some things that you should bear in mind. These factors contribute greatly to the type of yield that you will get and they include the following:-
- Genetics– The genetics of the seed is what determines whether the yield will be high quality or not. The only way you can get top quality seeds is by going to a very reputable seed banks. They are sure to give you a wide variety of strains with proven genetics.
- Strain – The strain that you choose all depends on the effect that you want to get from the plant and the purpose for which you are cultivating it. For people who are looking for high THC content, look out for a strain that is sativa dominant. But if you want a CBD high content, choose a strain that’s indica dominant.
- Germination Rate – Look out for seeds that have high rate of germination so that you can get the most from the seeds. If you buy seeds that do not sprout fast or do not even sprout at all, you would have wasted your money.
- Reputation of the seller– The reputation of the seller is important if you will get the right seed. Like we mentioned before, there are proliferations of sellers both online and offline; therefore you need to take your time to research before you make a purchase. Read reviews from previous customers, seek referrals and recommendations from more experienced growers (this is important for newbies) to ensure that you buy from honest and reputable sellers.
You can start your research by checking out this OG Seeds company and some others online.
Tips for Growing Cannabis from Seed
While it can be exciting and rewarding to grow weed from scratch, there things you need to know and do and they include the following:-
- Give the plants plenty of light – Marijuana requires plenty of light to grow and bring forth top quality yield. You must ensure they have between 12 -18 hours of light every day when they are in the vegetative stage. And when they get to the flowering stage, they need a minimum of 12 hours of light daily.
- Use good soil – Ensure that the soil you use is well draining and rich in nutrients. You can make top quality soil by mixing compost and perlite with potting soil.
- Be careful not to over water the plant so that its roots will not rot.
- Monitor the humidity and temperature– You might need to do extra research on this based on your region.
There is more information that you will need if you want to successfully cultivate cannabis from scratch. We have only shared a few basics here but we know that these basics as quite important so you will do well to bear them in mind.