The internet fuels the engine of the world and connects continents in real-time. Without internet access, you cannot expect to hit your full potential, complete your day-to-day tasks, or enjoy the luxury of convenience that network technology delivers to your doorstep. Especially, in this pandemic-stricken time, where everyone is confined to their homes, the internet is the sole means of continuing work and education, acquiring healthcare and other services, from the safety and comfort of personalized spaces.
Though the demand for high-speed internet has skyrocketed due to COVID-19, the tragic reality is that a significant part of the US population still receives a substandard service and bare minimum speed throughput. This results in a massive disappointment and exasperation on part of the consumers. Only the ISPs who strategize their offerings to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction are the ones whose subscriber base remains the most contented. Read more here regarding such an ISP whose customer care strategy is hard to beat.
So, which internet service providers have the highest rate of customer satisfaction in 2022? What are the parameters of customer satisfaction in the internet market? Which ISPs should you consider for your next upgrade? Let’s find out below.
Parameters of Customer Satisfaction in the Internet Market
According to the American Customer Satisfaction Index, the following parameters inform the decision of consumers while assessing and selecting internet service providers near them:
- Upload/Download Power – The overall data transfer speed of a connection should be fast and powerful enough to support multiple online activities and multiple connected devices.
- Mobile App Experience – The signature mobile application of an ISP should come with a user-friendly interface and minimal downtime, crashes, or lags.
- Website – The website of an internet service provider should incorporate eye-catching design, smart landing pages, and smooth UX, so the shopping experience is seamless.
- Call Center Agents – The customer service representatives of an internet service provider should have the right attitude towards query resolution and an elevated rate of retention.
- On-Site Staff Efficiency – The on-site staff of an ISP retail outlet should be courteous and helpful to the highest degree.
- Bill Transparency – The bill or invoice of an internet service provider should be transparent, crystal-clear, and easy to understand for an average consumer.
- Internet Plan Variety – The internet plans of an ISP should encompass multiple speed tiers and prices to satisfy both entry-level and intensive web users.
- Outage Frequency – The number of times service interruptions, technical malfunctions or internet outages occurs on an ISP connection should be the bare minimum.
- Peak Hour Performance – The internet service provider should be able to handle peak hour traffic efficiently and avert network blockages.
- Service Consistency – The internet connection in question should have the lowest ratio of signal loss and should connect a user reliably through thick or thin.
- Streaming Capability – The internet service provider should supply enough bandwidth and speed to complement video streaming ideally.
- Quality of Extras – The freebies like email service, data storage, and 360° internet security should live up to their hype instead of just being plain sweeteners on a plan.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity – The wireless network of an ISP should be secure, have an extended range, connect several devices, be consistent, support a higher download and upload speed, and have affordable equipment pricing, etc.
Once an internet service provider meets these specifications, it succeeds in enjoying the highest level of customer satisfaction and maintaining a stronghold in the internet market. On the other hand, ISPs who don’t make customers their priority, lose the public vote over time and eat the dust eventually.
Top 5 ISPs based on Customer Satisfaction
Here is a list of the best internet service providers in the US, based on the ACSI scale of customer satisfaction in 2022:
2021 Rating – 71/100
2020 Rating – 68/100
AT&T is a conglomerate that covers more than 20 states. It offers DSL, DSL/fiber hybrid, and fiber optic plans, with speeds starting from a mere 10 Mbps and going all the way up to 940 Mbps. The prices range from $35/month to $60/month, depending on the type of connection and package you sign up for. AT&T is best known for its promotional rates, gift cards, and its higher customer satisfaction rate, which has increased three points from last year.
2. Verizon Fios
2021 Rating – 71/100
2020 Rating – 73/100
Competing with AT&T head-on, Verizon Fios is a fiber internet provider with simple and straightforward plans. You can get the entry-level speed tier of 200 Mbps for $39.99/month, while the high-end speed tier of 940 Mbps costs around $89.99/month. Meaning that for just under $100 a month, you can enjoy fiber-fast connectivity at your home with symmetrical speeds. The only downside here is that Verizon Fios has limited availability, currently present in only 10 or so states in the US. Still, the provider is ranked at #2 by customers, with an excellent satisfaction score of 71 out of 100.
3. Xfinity by Comcast
2021 Rating – 67/100
2020 Rating – 66/100
Who hasn’t heard of Comcast? Yes, this internet service provider is a household name. It has a huge footprint in the US and covers nearly 40 states. It is primarily available to the residents of Washington DC and Massachusetts. Xfinity by Comcast is a cable and more specifically, a hybrid fiber-cable internet service. It offers diverse plans, ranging from Performance Starter Plus with 25 Mbps download speed for $19.99/month to Gigabit Pro with up to 2000 Mbps speed for $299.95/month. Xfinity Flex and Peacock Premium are included at no extra cost. This is why the ISP occupies third place on our list.
4. Cox Communications
2021 Rating – 63/100
2020 Rating – 61/100
Though Cox Communications needs a little work on its pricing, its high-performance internet service and customer satisfaction make up for the post-promotion hikes. With Cox, you can get download speed as moderate as 25 Mbps for $19.99/month or as fast as 940 Mbps for $99.99/month. The Panoramic Wi-Fi provides excellent throughput and the Elite Gamer add-on ensures a low ping rate. Cox manages to secure an above-average 63 out of 100 score on the ACSI, which has increased three points from last year.
2021 Rating – 63/100
2020 Rating – 63/100
Spectrum’s “no data caps, no contracts and no hassle” win the hearts of customers all over the US. It is the second-largest cable provider in the US, following Comcast, and offers great speed for affordable prices. You can subscribe to Spectrum Internet for $49.99/month and enjoy up to 200 Mbps. You also have the option to upgrade the base speed tier to Ultra 400 Mbps for $69.99/month and to the Gig 1000 Mbps for $109.99/month. The state of customer satisfaction for Spectrum has remained pretty much the same from last year to this one.
Customer satisfaction is integral for every business out there, including internet service providers. This post lists the top 5 ISPs who stand out from the rest and manage to please their customers in the best way possible. So, the next time you’re out shopping, make sure to consider these providers for your home.