English is an international language and in this rapidly progressing world, learning English is a must. But before that, you need to listen too.
Listening to English properly is a very good skill, and everyone must learn about it. In this article, you will learn how to practise while you are listening to English and what to do.
There are online platforms where you can learn over 60+ languages online. It makes so many things easier that you will get to know only when you use this. Click here to find more
You will know how to behave or how to react while someone is talking and you need to listen. Now, we are going to explore it.
Some Principles of Listening:
Every listener must learn some principles while listening and follow those. Some principles are: to stop talking while someone is speaking; prepare yourself to listen; while the speaker is at ease, remove distractions; emphasise; be patient; avoid personal prejudice; and listen to the tone. If you follow all these rules, you are already a perfect listener.
Some things you need to learn before English listening skills. First, you need to be very attentive.
Wait for their end of the discussion and then ask open-ended questions. Ask probing questions. Request for clarification.
You can rephrase the whole topic, be attuned, reflect on feelings, and summarise the whole matter. Now we are going to tell you about five tips for English practice listening.
5 Tips for English Practice Listening:
1. Maintain Eye Contact with the Speaker:
Maintaining eye contact while someone is speaking and facing that person is a very good skill, and everyone must learn that.
This will help you to feel more or know more about that person. You will get to know his or her perspective.
Every day you can do this and it will be very helpful for you. So if you cannot maintain eye contact while listening, then practise it from today. It will be very beneficial.
2. Be Attentive but Relaxed:
The ability to balance attention while listening and staying relaxed while someone is speaking is a very good feature.
For that, you need to be very patient because you cannot interrupt someone when they are expressing something.
To stay attentive and relaxed, you can start doing yoga at your place every day. This will refresh your body and mind, which will help you focus more.
3. Keep an Open Mind:
Keep your mind open always. An open-minded person has a different kind of personality, which makes them different from others. They know how to be patient in every situation and how to stay calm.
They do not judge anyone at any time but try to understand everyone’s perspective. So be an open-minded person, and value each and everyone who is in your life or any stranger. This will make you a good listener as well as a good person.
4. Listen to the words and try to picture It in Your Mind:
Pay close attention to what the person is saying and clarify everything. You can take notes about some confusing parts or draw a picture in your mind and then ask later about those unclear parts.
This will help your brain be sharp and make you a good listener too. You can do this every day while having a random conversation.
5. Please Do Not Interrupt:
You should not interrupt and impose your solution. This is a very bad feature that makes a man the worst listener. If you want to say something, then wait for the speaker to finish his speech, and then ask him about your confusion.
Interrupts make speakers face problems, and then they become uncomfortable. So, every day you can practise it if you do not interrupt, even while any random person is speaking.
What are the Types of Listening
The types of listening are attentive, interactive and passive
- Attentive listening is when you are fully focused on the person who is speaking. You make eye contact, nod your head, and maintain an open posture. This type of listening shows that you are interested in what the other person has to say.
- Interactive listening is when you not only listen attentively, but also respond to the speaker. You ask questions, offer feedback, and paraphrase what the speaker has said to ensure that you understand them correctly. Interactive listening allows for two-way communication and builds relationships.
- Passive listening is when you are not really paying attention to the person who is speaking. You may be looking around
What are 5 Qualities of a Good Listener?
- Active Listening – A good listener is usually an active listener. This means they are not just hearing the words that are being said, but they are also absorbing and trying to understand the underlying meaning. They may ask clarifying questions or restate what they have heard in their own words to ensure they fully understand.
- Suspending Judgment – A good listener is able to suspend judgement and truly open their mind to understanding the other person’s point of view, even if it differs from their own opinion. They can see beyond their personal biases and appreciate the value in different perspectives.
- Empathy – A good listener demonstrates empathy, or the ability to understand and share another person.
Now you all know how to practise English listening. With the help of this article, with the help of those 5 tips which are exaggeratedly given here, will surely help you.
Besides, there are amazing platforms where you can learn English, French, Spanish, Korean, and 60+ languages. You will get your preferred range of courses here, which makes their features different from others. You will get professional, skilled, well-trained tutors who are always ready to help you gain knowledge every day.
They will make the class their own and make you feel like they are your private home tutor. If you do not like your tutor, you can switch to another one with no extra money.
If you are about to practise English listening, then give a chance to them and see if you will get a long way in progression.