Collagen is one of the main substances that ensure many tissues’ health. The human body can produce it independently, but the synthesis begins to decline steadily over time, negatively affecting the entire body.
Using it as a supplement improves the state of joints and ligaments, smooths wrinkles, and rejuvenates the skin. You can choose a convenient form of administration: tablets or liquid collagen in injections.
Beneficial Effect of Collagen
Collagen is a protein with a polypeptide chain and has a helical structure. This feature of the threads increases their strength, especially when stretched. One of the main functions is the binding of tissues, which ensures their density. Connective tissues, cartilage, ligaments, and skin contain most of the substance.
The human body synthesizes liquid collagen, but even with sufficient protein intake, the level of the substance may decrease. It is because many factors influence its production. Also, the synthesis of the substance decreases with age, which is the leading cause of aging of the skin and joints.
The slowdown in production takes place from the age of 25-26, after which the process speeds up yearly. After 50 years, the synthesis will decrease by 10% annually. The consumption of protein foods only partially inhibits this process. Therefore, you should consider nutritional supplements.
Experts identify three kinds:
- Type I ─ The most common type is a structural part of ligaments and tendons necessary to form skin, bones, and other tissues. Responsible for regenerative functions, strengthens tissues, and protects against damage;
- Type II is used to support cartilage and accelerates its recovery. This type of collagen is best for healthy joints;
- Type III ─ The kind of substance that contains reticular fibers is necessary for the extracellular matrix. Often used in conjunction with type I to improve skin elasticity and regeneration. It also affects blood vessels, internal organs, eyes, and other tissues.
There are two types of additives commonly used in the industry. Some combined I and III collagen are used to rejuvenate and restore the skin and improve the eyes and internal organs. Other type II collagen supplements are valuable for joints, tendons, and ligaments.
2 Ways of Collagen Presentation
For collagen production, producers use two sources: animal and marine origin. Collagen of animal origin is obtained from poultry and livestock cartilaginous, bone, and skin tissues. Collagen of marine origin is the bone and skin parts of fish.
Marine collagen is considered more efficient than animal collagen in terms of its absorption by the body, but it is also more expensive. But marine and animal collagen are different types. Accordingly, to achieve the best result, it is recommended to combine them.
According to the researchers, it is preferable to use marine-derived collagen. Manufacturers of collagen as a nutritional supplement produce it in various forms. It can be a ready-made drink, tablets, capsules, or loose mixture.
The most preferred is the powder form, which allows you to prepare your collagen drink, or the liquid form, which can be drunk immediately.
1. Nutritional Supplements
Collagen supplements can be divided into three main groups:
- Hydrolyzed collagen or collagen peptide
- Gelatin capsules
- Collagen boosters
The difference between collagen peptide and gelatin capsules is only in the form obtained with different heat treatments. The peptide is a complex molecule that has high flexibility and strength. Only hydrolysis can tear it apart. They partially hydrolyze the gelatin capsules while the collagen peptide is complete.
Gelatin capsules are a classic dietary supplement but can be used as a thickener. Gelatin has a positive effect on the digestive system. Capsules can be enriched with prebiotics.
Collagen peptide has a minimum particle size, allowing it to penetrate the bloodstream directly through the intestinal wall, bypassing digestion.
Boosters are additives to cosmetics that allow you to maintain the required level of collagen in problem areas. This type can be combined with a hydrolyzed peptide for best results.
The following recommendations are essential if you have food allergies or other dietary restrictions:
- Hydrolyzed collagen is much better absorbed than gelatin capsules or food. That’s why liquid marine collagen is the best choice. The benefits of collagen from dietary supplements are its high absorption capacity into many tissues (muscles, bones, joints, skin, nails, and hair). Several studies have shown the benefits of hydrolyzed collagen over conventional — in the first 6 hours after taking the supplement, 90% of the hydrolyzed peptide enters the blood and tissues throughout the body. In the case of conventional collagen, the figures are much lower — only 27%. The low molecular weight significantly increases the absorption capacity.
- High price ─ A quality product cannot be cheap. High-quality hydrolyzed collagen has a high cost. Other components are additionally introduced into the food supplement to increase the effect.
- Capsules or powder ─ To obtain a visible effect, intake 5000 mg of collagen daily. Usually, pills have a low concentration. They will need quite a lot. Therefore, it is better to take collagen powder for oral administration.
- Look for vitamin C supplements ─ Vitamin C plays a critical role in collagen synthesis. When taken orally and applied topically, it activates the body’s mechanisms to produce collagen.
Collagen therapy is an injectable anti-aging procedure within which collagen-based preparations are introduced. Being one of the structural elements of the human connective tissue, it is responsible for the smoothness and youthfulness of the skin.
However, with age, its gradual destruction occurs, and natural production decreases, which leads to the appearance of wrinkles and other age-related changes.
Collagen shot can compensate for collagen deficiency, thanks to which it is possible to eliminate the following:
- stretch marks on the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks
- surgical scars and post-acne scars
- skin atrophy
- signs of photoaging resulting from active insolation (for example, abuse of a solarium).
The procedure also helps to prepare the skin for the upcoming facelift. It is indicated before chemical peels, laser therapy, and other types of dermabrasion, minimizing their trauma and accelerating tissue healing. This is a great option to support the skin before the holidays, especially if you are going to a hot country.
Collagen is a protein that helps skin stay firmer and more elastic and keeps joints from wearing out longer. But after 25 years, collagen in the body is produced more slowly; accordingly, it is necessary to make up for its deficiency with foods and nutritional supplements.